Volunteers power the Harry Chapin Food Bank. It’s as simple as that.
Without our volunteers, we could not help provide food to the almost 164,000 people in our community
who are food insecure – that is, they may not know where their next meal is coming from. Of that number, about 54,800 are children.
Take an active role in the fight to end hunger in Southwest Florida and join the Harry Chapin Food Bank ranks of volunteers. Harry Chapin Food Bank is a member of Feeding America, the largest network of food banks in the nation.
When you give your time to the food bank, you get back something amazing in return, maybe even life-changing: the feeling that you are personally helping put food into the hands of people who need it.
In the last fiscal year:
· About 5,450 volunteers collectively supported the food bank with their time and effort.
· Collectively, they provided almost 46,500 hours of their time.
· Their time equated to more than $1 million of in-kind service.
It’s proof that no matter what happens in the world, you absolutely have the power to make a difference in the lives of others. Harry Chapin Food Bank volunteers know this better than anyone. But don’t take our word for it. Sign up to volunteer and find out for yourself.
Volunteer activities can range from packing, sorting and distributing food; helping to staff an event; or providing a food bank access to specialized skills, such as carpentry, marketing or technology. Follow these simple steps to start making a difference in your community.
· Visit our volunteer page at harrychapinfoodbank.org/donate/volunteer and fill out an individual volunteer application. Someone from the volunteer department will call you back.
· Share the impact of your work on social media with #FeedingAmerica, on Facebook and/or on twitter @HCFBSWFL to challenge others to sign up to volunteer.