Ways to Give
There are many ways to support Harry Chapin Food Bank. Your investment in the mission of Harry Chapin Food Bank is critical to our ability to ensure that no one has to go hungry. Harry Chapin Food Bank has earned a 4-star Charity Navigator rating for the 12th year in a row. We have earned GuideStar Platinum rating, which is the highest level available to nonprofits. These ratings set our organization apart from our peers and demonstrate our trustworthiness and transparency.
Together we will lead our community in the fight to end hunger. We thank you for your careful consideration.
Please make checks payable to: Harry Chapin Food Bank of Southwest Florida and mail it to 3760 Fowler Street, Fort Myers, FL 33901.
Giving in sensible and practical ways may help minimize your tax burden and stretch your charitable dollars. Gifts of appreciated securities include stocks, bonds and mutual funds.
Here are some ways that securities held for more than 12 months can offer potential tax savings:
- A gift of appreciated stock may eliminate capital gains tax.
- A gift of appreciated stock allows you to claim a charitable deduction up to 30% of your adjusted gross income.
Instructions you can provide to your broker can be received by phone, email, or fax.
Qualified Charitable Distributions (QCDs)
When planning your IRA withdrawal strategy, you may want to consider making charitable donations through a QCD. A QCD is a direct transfer of funds from your IRA custodian, payable to a qualified charity such as Harry Chapin Food Bank. QCDs can be counted toward satisfying your required minimum distributions (RMDs) for the year, as long as certain rules are met. In addition to the benefits of giving to Harry Chapin Food Bank, a QCD excludes the amount donated from taxable income, which is unlike regular withdrawals from an IRA. Keeping your taxable income lower may reduce the impact to certain tax credits and deductions, including Social Security and Medicare. Also, QCDs don’t require that you itemize, which due to the recent tax law changes, means you may decide to take advantage of the higher standard deduction, but still use a QCD for charitable giving.
- You must be 70½ or older to be eligible to make a QCD.
- QCDs are limited to the amount that would otherwise be taxed as ordinary income. This excludes non-deductible contributions.
- The maximum annual amount that can qualify for a QCD is $100,000. This applies to the sum of QCDs made to one or more charities in a calendar year. (If, however, you file taxes jointly, your spouse can also make a QCD from his or her own IRA within the same tax year for up to $100,000.)
- For a QCD to count towards your current year’s RMD, the funds must come out of your IRA by your RMD deadline, generally December 31.
- Contributing to an IRA may result in a reduction of the QCD amount you can deduct. (The aggregate amount of deductible IRA contributions you make to your IRA after you turn 70 1/2 will reduce the amount of the QCD that is not includible in your gross income.)
You simply need to provide your financial firm with our legal name, address and EIN.
Legal Name: Harry Chapin Food Bank of Southwest Florida
Address: 3760 Fowler Street, Fort Myers, FL 33901
Estate planning makes certain that your property will be distributed according to your wishes after your death and helps to manage the eroding effects of federal estate taxes and the expenses of estate administration. Estate planning is really just another term for good stewardship.
Put your financial assets to work in a way that extends the benefits of your generosity and ensures that no one has to go hungry. We will work with you, and your financial advisors if desired, to help you select the giving tools to meet your philanthropic goals. You and your loved ones could also receive substantial tax and financial benefits, and you will be welcomed as a member of our Legacy Society.
The Legacy Society is a special network recognizing supporters who include Harry Chapin Food Bank in a Will or estate plan, or who establish a gift with Harry Chapin Food Bank that provides income for life. Harry Chapin Food Bank has been leading our community in the fight to end hunger through the vital support of the Legacy Society, and other individuals who have made special commitments to Harry Chapin Food Bank. Everything we have accomplished we have accomplished with you, our donors.
We hope you will consider joining the Legacy Society and help continue Harry Chapin Food Bank’s work to ensure that no one has to go hungry. Through your estate plan, you can pass on your cherished values and share the gift of nutrition with generations to come.
Become a member of the Legacy Society by doing any of the following:
- Name Harry Chapin Food Bank as a beneficiary in your Will or Trust.
- Name Harry Chapin Food Bank as a beneficiary of your retirement plan or life insurance policy.
- Make a gift to Harry Chapin Food Bank through a charitable gift annuity or charitable remainder trust.
Simply call Lynnae Messina
Major Gifts Officer
239-334-7007, ext. 105